Sunday, January 4, 2009

Maturity

Unfortunately, my brain tends to think much faster than I can type, so if I rapidly switch topics, forgive me, yet I'll try to be conscious of this.


For the past year I've been thinking a lot about maturity; what it means, where it comes from, etc. I've realized now that there are different ways of being mature, but more importantly, I've realized maturity is understanding.


By definition, maturity is "full development; adulthood: the period of time in your life after your physical growth has stopped and you are fully developed". Clearly this definition mentions nothing specific about the psychological aspect, and maybe it shouldn't. However, I think it's an important aspect when explaining what maturity really is.


Having the ability to fully comprehend all sides of an argument or situation, and not just one's own argument is an example of maturity. Clearly there are many more examples, and other bones of contention I'd like to address later.

Although firstly I'd like to bring up an idea of Chris Langan's, and if you don't know who he is, I suggest you google him. Anyways, he believes to an extent that the size of the brain is related to the intelligence. His example was this:



Brain size of a mouse = tiny
Brain size of a cat = slightly larger
Brain size of a dog = slightly larger again
Brain size of an ape = larger
Brain size of a human = even larger

His argument was that as you peer down the list above, the brain size increases as does the general intelligence. According to Peter H Raven, the average size of the human brain is 1450 cc. If his "theory" was true, a human with a brain the size of 1600 cc would be smarter than the average brain of 1450 cc. Although what he doesn't consider is the capacity. He's mistaken to think that because one has a larger brain, makes one more intelligent, but perhaps it just means they have the capacity to be more intelligent. There are studies that the larger the brain (and ofcourse the age of the brain) include more white matter. White matter ... oops I just caught myself jumping ahead again ... Anyways, I'll explain how this all relates to maturity soon enough, but right now there are other things demanding my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment